Sunday, February 7, 2016

Ears

Over the years several of the dogs we have had experienced problems with repeated ear infections. Quinn, our Golden who passed last year had a really big problem with them. It got to the point we had a standing prescription for gentamicin from our veterinarian so we didn't have to go in EVERY TIME he got another flair up.

I was getting tired of medicating him and wasn't fond of the list of side effects, especially the one that suggested long term use could cause hearing loss.. ugh!

So I set about to find an alternative. I came across an enzymatic ear solution on Amazon which claimed to be highly effective for ear infections. I read it.. My medical husband read it and we decided it couldn't hurt to try.

The product is called Zymox Enzymatic Ear Solution with 0.5 % Hydrocortisone. I have to say it worked wonders! I didn't have to use the prescription ear medication again! Quinn did still get occasional ear infections, but less frequently and this worked in the same time frame as the RX.. Not to mention cost less!

They also have an ear cleaning solution you can use for routine care, but it's not intended to be used at the same time as treatment.

Both of these products are available on Amazon. I can't say the dogs LOVE having the stuff put into their ears, but they like the little massage that they get with it. That is usually followed by running around like a fool, rubbing your head on the floor, couch or whatever seems best at that moment. This last for a few minutes and we have a treat and calm returns to life.

Here is a recipe for an ear cleaning solution. I have not yet used this solution myself. It was recommended on a Great Pyrenees forum I belong to.

Ear Cleaning Solution

8 oz. Witch Hazel or Rubbing Alcohol
2 Tbsp. Boric Acid (pharmacy or Amazon)
8 drops Gentian Violet Essential Oil

Mix all ingredients together. Place in a small dropper bottler.

To use place several drops in ear, close ear, massage. Try and keep ear closed a few minutes. Release dog, allow to shake clean excess from ear with a cotton ball. 

Till next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment